Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 186 - Bookclub at our place


It was our turn to host our bookclub meeting this time round - happens about twice a year. The pic shows the fruit flan I purchased from the local bakery for sweets - very yummy. Our book was The Slap by Chris Tsoilkas - a ripper of a read. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that because the story involves some rather confronting personalities who have some rather skewed values. They swear a lot, drink and imbibe too much, have affairs etc. But I couldn't put it down! It's one of those books you just eat up. Our next book is Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee which might return us to a slightly more rarified literary level.

2 comments:

  1. The cake look sooo good. I haven't read The Slap, but it seems to evoke very strong responses. Some people can't stand it! Some people really like it. I should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd value your opinion. My sister was critical of it. There are certainly aspects that are hard to take but the overall effect on most of us was "Wow". Our bookclub friends were looking at my Greek husband with a fresh perspective but we had to assure them he was not as colourful as any of The Slap characters - sadly!

    ReplyDelete